*These are general guidelines. If you have trouble, you can call the reference desk at (415) 389-4292 x4740 and ask about our Book a Librarian service, check out Overdrive’s help page, or come into the library for our Digital Drop-In every Wednesday from 12-1pm.*
You Will Need: Your library card #, your pin # for your library card, and Adobe Digital Editions (instructions below) unless using Kindle.
For First-Time Users:
Kindle users: if you are using something other than a Kindle Fire, click here for instructions.
- Start at the Overdrive website: http://omc.overdrive.com/
- Download the appropriate Overdrive Media Console app for your specific device. Open the app and follow the prompts.
- The Overdrive app should prompt you to sign in with your Adobe Digital Editions ID. If you have an Adobe account, sign in. If you do not, click on Get a Free Adobe ID.
- In the Overdrive app and depending on your device, either swipe from left to right across your screen or choose Menu.
- Choose Get Books, then select Add a Library.
- Search for Mill Valley Public Library and select MARINet. **Tap the star once to remember this selection. The star should turn yellow.)**
- Click on MARINet and you’ll be taken to our ebook collection.
- You may continue to search through the Overdrive app, or you can search and check out directly through the library catalog.
For Returning Users Who Have Installed the Overdrive Media Console:
Search and checkout via the library catalog:
- Start at the library catalog.
- Find an ebook (you can use the refine “ebook” facet on the left-hand side to narrow your search) and click on Check Out with Overdrive. (You will see Place Hold With Overdrive if the book is currently checked out.)
- Enter your library card # and your pin #.
- You will see a message listing the multiple formats the book comes in. Choose Check out.
- After you see a message which says your checkout has been successful, click on Get eBook and select the appropriate format (ePUB or ePDF if you are using anything other than a Kindle; Kindle book for Kindles).
- Click on Confirm & Download. The book will be sent to your Overdrive book shelf or your Adobe Reader Library–simply tap on the cover of the book to start reading!
Search and checkout via the Overdrive App:
- Open the Overdrive App.
- Find the main Menu (by swiping the screen from left to right if you’re using a portable device) and select Get Books.
- Click on MARINet.
- You’re now in our Overdrive eBook database. Find a book that you want and check it out with your library card # and pin #.
- Choose the Download button next to the book and select the correct version for your device.
- Click on Confirm & Download. The book will be sent to your Overdrive book shelf–simply tap on the cover of the book to start reading!
If you would like to sync your Overdrive ebook content to more than 1 device, follow the instructions for syncing here.