Abbey Library in St. Gallen, Switzerland
We’re pleased to offer a number of authoritative databases which allow you to search for information you can’t find on the internet. Find databases for kids here and high school students here.
- BookBrowse- (Access inside library. Access outside library.) An excellent resource for finding your next favorite book. Offers reviews of current and upcoming books, author interviews, suggested reading lists, and book club resources.
- California Libraries Catalog-(Access inside library. Access outside library.) Also known as OCLC, Worldcat, or FirstSearch, this database lets you locate hard to find titles at other libraries for inter library loan requests.
- Literary Reference Center -Plot summaries, synopses, literary criticism, and author biographies.
- Novelist -(Access inside library. Access outside library.) One of the best book recommendation resources (aside from our own librarians) our there! Book lists, author read-alikes, reviews, and more.
- Legal Information Reference Center -Articles, legal forms, full-text legal reference books from Nolo Press, one of the nation’s oldest and most respected providers of legal info to consumers and small businesses.
- Reference USA - (Access inside library. Access outside library.) Reliable business data, stats, and tools for conducting market analysis, marketing plans, comparisons of businesses in similar industries, etc. Also acts as a white pages reference for looking up residences in the U.S.
- Safari Tech eBooks -ebooks on business, commerce, and computer programming.
- Small Business Reference Center -Information on small businesses, entrepreneurial subjects, creating business plans, funding, and business advice.
- Consumer Checkbook- Find ratings and reviews for local services such as pet care, doctors, electricians, auto repair, etc. **If you’re accessing this database from outside of the library, you will be asked to log in with your library card barcode and to fill out a short form to create a personal account.**
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias:
- Academic Search Complete -more than 8600 full-text articles including peer-reviewed journals, reports, and other publications.
- JSTOR- (Access inside library. Access outside library.) Indexes academic journals and scholarly publications.
- Lynda.com-(Access inside library. Access outside library.) Over 697 online courses including web design, Adobe Creative Suite, business, and photography, all taught by expert instructors. *Lynda.com asks you to register once with your library card # and pin # and then your name and email. Once you have registered, you will only need to put in your library card # and pin # each time you visit Lynda.*
- Shmoop Test prep (AP, ACT, SAT, essay writing help, book summaries (similar to Cliff’s Notes), financial literacy info, and more. Geared towards high school students.
- American History Online -(Access inside library. Access outside library.) Biographies, timelines, primary sources.
- Ancestry.com -(Access inside library only.) Extensive database covering immigration, birth, death, and census records. Federal Census images and indexes from 1790 to 1930.
- Ancient and Medieval History -(Access inside library. Access outside library.) Covers Mesopotamia, ancient Greece, ancient Egypt, ancient Rome, ancient and medieval Africa, medieval Europe, Asia, and more.
- Dictionary of American History
- HeritageQuest-(Access inside library. Access outside library.) 8,000 family histories, tax lists, city directories, probate records, and more.
- The Ancient World -History and civilizations of the ancient world from prehistory to ~1000 C.E.
- Fashion, Costume, and Culture
- Mango Languages- Learn Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Greek, Russian, Mandarin, ESL Polish, ESL Spanish, and more.
- EBSCO Research -Indexes periodicals such as Consumer Reports, newspapers such as the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, among many others.
- E-Journal Finder -Search and access the Mill Valley Public Library’s collection of print and electronic journals/periodicals.
- Proquest Newspapers -More than 500 full-text national and international newspapers including NYTimes and SF Chronicle.
- Zinio -Read hundreds of newspapers and magazines right from your screen, tablet, or smartphone.